Monday 25 February 2013

The Taj Mahal

This past weekend I had visited the world famous Taj Mahal, and let me say that it was incredible. Building began in 1632 after the Emperor Shah Jahan built it in tribute of his wife Mumtaz Mahal who had died in childbirth, through his greif he had decided that the ultimate monument to the love of his wife would have to be built. The entire thing is a gigantic tomb but that does not detract from the fact that it has to be one of the most beautiful things that I have seen in my entire life. The gardens that surround the tomb are also a point note. I cannot imagine the work that has to be put into the gardens daily, in this day and age, but also back when the building was made so many years ago. However there is a sad point to it. From the magnificent palace you can see the surrounding slums from it. It gave me perspective more than anything,it helped remind me that no matter where you go poverty is always literally around the corner.


No comments:

Post a Comment